The St. Petersburg Bicycle Club
Florida's #1 bicycle club was established in 1968. The St. Petersburg Bicycle Club, Inc. is a non-profit, social and recreational club that exists to promote safe, satisfying bicycling opportunities to both club members and the general public of all ages and skill levels, through planned activities and events.
Calling all SPBC members to celebrate SPBC Membership Appreciation Day!
Date: Saturday, October 30th starting at 10:00 after the ride
Location: Ballpark under the oaks across from North Shore Pool
SPBC will be hosting a member appreciation brunch after the ride on Saturday, October 30th.The menu includes fruit salad, egg dishes, bakery sweets, coffee and drinks. We want to thank our membership for their continuous support during these challenging times.
We will have a special guest speaker! Jim Dodson, prominent local bike injury attorney, will host a 20 minute presentation on what to do in case of a crash with time for Q & A after.
We will be collecting donations for our designated charity, Charlie's Champs, a St Petersburg group that provides custom-designed mobility bikes for children with disabilities. Cash, spare change and charge cards will be accepted. Open your hearts and your wallets for whatever you can give to support this amazing charity!
Celebrate the start of cooler Fall riding weather--hope to see you all on the 30th!
SPBC RIDES UPDATE:
BEGINNING SATURDAY, MAY 29, 2021, RIDE WILL BEGIN AT 8 AM FROM NORTH SHORE POOL
- Rides will begin at 8:00 a.m. beginning Saturday, MAY 29, 2021.
- Regarding COVID, please follow all CDC guidelines at all times.
- Please be respectful of Ride Callers as they make announcements and call the rides.
- Ride Callers will be dividing riders into manageable groups of riders for your safety.
- If you are at the front of your group, you are the de facto Ride Leader for your group at that time.
- Ride Leaders (as well as all members of the group) are responsible for OBEYING THE RULES OF THE ROAD - stop at Stop signs and stop at red lights (watch for countdown timers and stale green lights).
- Ride Leaders (as well as all members of the group) must maintain the stated speed of the group.
- Ride Leaders are requested to slowly increase speed coming off stops, and slow speeds around corners or curves.
- All riders are required to point or call out HAZARDS and pass the information back to the group.
- All riders are required to pull out of line (or go to the back) to discard any bodily fluid (spit or snot).
- All riders are required to wave with ALL FIVE FINGERS at angry or careless motorists or pedestrians.
We all want to HAVE FUN RIDING.
Be safe. Be courteous. Be predictable!
~ Tim Robinson, SPBC President
With more bicyclists out and about, the St. Pete Bike Club offers these safety tips. Check back frequently as we’ll cover a number of issues, including:
Congratulations to John & Lenore Sinibaldi
the St. Petersburg Bicycle Club 2020
Volunteers of the Year
Why become a member?
It's about quality of life, and these words from one SPBC member express the quality we share as a family of riders.
After nearly 40 years of riding in other parts of the country I never had ridden with groups much. I guess those few times I had I did not feel particularly welcomed.
When I first moved to Florida a couple of years ago, I joined the St. Pete Bike Club not so much to ride but to meet people. The best way to do that was to join the daily group rides and the coffee klatch afterwards. But I fully intended to return to solo riding once I met some folks.
I was not a particularly strong rider, but that didn't concern those I rode with. They were helpful, supportive and non-judgmental. I learned a lot. And there were plenty of opportunities to push myself. I also found that group riding seemed safer. It's hard for motorists not to notice anywhere from five to 50 cyclists riding together.
SPBC also was welcoming to new ideas and passionate about safety and advocating for riders, so I know with my small membership dues I'd have a chance to contribute as well as benefit.
Soon the idea of returning to solo riding was behind me. I enjoy the camaraderie both during and after the rides. That coffee klatch is now part of my daily routine (and isn't it great that this can be done outdoors year around!)
Why wouldn't YOU want to be a part of such a great group?
St. Petersburg Bicycle Club, Inc.
PO Box 76023
St. Petersburg, FL 33734
The St. Petersburg Bicycle Club, Inc. (SPBC) is a non-profit, social and recreational club that exists to promote safe, satisfying bicycling opportunities to both club members and the general public of all ages and skill levels, through planned activities and events.
© Copyright 2020 St. Petersburg Bicycle Club